September 1, 2010 – On September 1, top Syngenta corn and soybean growers spent the day with leading industry experts learning about the latest agronomic advances, crop protection technologies and industry developments at the Syngenta Seeds Canada, Inc. research facility in Arva.
The combination business seminar and field day saw Ontario producers come together with agribusiness and agronomy experts to discuss pressing issues like the growing Western Bean Cutworm (WBC) threat. Attendees explored new ways of increasing yield, and Syngenta representatives introduced some of the company‟s newest technologies, including Agrisure Viptera™, designed to combat 14 corn pests, including WBC.
Highlights of this year's event included:
- Dr. Aaron Franssen, Research Agronomist explored how multiple stressors affect corn yield and the multi-pest complex;
- Horst Bohner, OMAFRA Soybean Specialist explained the importance of early planting and seed treatments to increase soybean yield;
- Mike Cowbrough, OMAFRA Weed Management Specialist looked at future candidates for weed resistance and where to look for them;
- Jocelyn Smith, University of Guelph spoke on the threat of the Western Bean Cutworm and steps to prevention;
- Albert Tenuta, OMAFRA Pathologist explored corn and soybean leaf diseases.
“This is the second AgriEdge Learning Centre Day we‟ve held, and it was another great success,” says Syngenta Seeds Canada, Inc. Crop Manager David Townsend. “We really value the chance to get together with growers and learn about the challenges they‟re facing and the successes they enjoy, and we‟re pleased to be able to facilitate this exchange of ideas.”
Syngenta is one of the world's leading companies with more than 25,000 employees in over 90 countries dedicated to our purpose: Bringing plant potential to life. Through world-class science, global reach and commitment to our customers we help to increase crop productivity, protect the environment and improve health and quality of life. For more information about us, please go to www.syngenta.com.
AgriEdge®, Agrisure Viptera™ and the Syngenta word mark are trademarks of a Syngenta Group Company.